15 December 2017 : 

Money guides packed with tips & ideas for managing money
Home / Home Insurance / Landlord Insurance

Landlord Insurance

All landlords have an obligation to manage and maintain property, so it can be advisable to obtain landlord insurance. This insurance is not compulsory but it can make it a lot easier to deal with unexpected incidents such as any tenant’s damage, acts of nature such as floods or fire at the property. Cover can be for all types of properties ranging from bedsits to holiday homes, so don’t leave yourself exposed by not getting cover.

Product Name Max. Cover
& Min. Excess
Max. Cover
& Min. Excess
Min. Cost
Per Month


We provide a personal finance, insurance and utility comparison service free to the user. compareandsave.com is a credit broker, not a lender, for the consumer credit products we feature. We usually receive commissions from the businesses we refer users to. This table comprises a range of popular products. Other tables may feature other products which may be better suited to your needs. Please ensure you have thoroughly investigated all available options before applying for products.

Different types of the Landlord cover?

Off the shelf policies can contain a variety of different elements but they can also be tailor made to suit individual landlords needs. A standard policy may not be enough to cover the potential risk such as legal fees, damage to property by the tenant or loss of earnings/rent if the tenant moves out. Different types of covers are available. Some of the main ones are detailed below:

Legal Expenses

Not all tenancies are perfect. For instance, landlords may have to evict troublesome tenants. This could require a repossession notice from the court and these can be expensive, which is why it can be good to include it in policies so the fees are covered by the policy.

Property liability

This covers protects the landlord against any lawsuits resulting from injuries or casualties to any persons at a landlord's property. Maximum payments vary by providers, but are often well over one million pounds.

Loss of rent

If property becomes inhabitable, either through accidental or malicious damage landlords can claim the rental payments for the entire time it is empty. How the payments are made will vary by policy and provider.

Building & contents cover

This covers the building itself from fire, lightning or earthquakes and the contents such as carpets, fixtures or fittings from accidental damage, flood and theft. Some policies also provide the old for new option which means some contents can be replaced.

Is Landlord insurance similar to home insurance?

There are some similarities between landlord and home insurance but landlord policies consider the potential risks such as loss of rent and accommodation costs should the tenant have to move out after an insured event and it also covers liability as a landlord, whereas the standard home policy won’t consider any of these. It is also unlikely that standard home insurance will cover a rented property as this is likely to be viewed as a commercial enterprise – making any cover void. Landlord’s found to be claiming on the basis that they are the occupier are potentially guilty of fraud (which if prosecuted mean they will have a criminal record).

How do I choose the correct policy?

Product Offers
Please ensure that you fully read the terms & conditions of any product or policy before you decide to proceed and are fully aware of the total costs and the benefits and any exclusions or limitations applicable to the product or plan.

Please note that the product links will take you direct to the Issuer or Insurer's site direct and we cannot be held responsible for the information which they provide within their own sites. On some comparison tables we use a star rating which rates products by visitor popularity.
Follow Us: facebook twitter Google+

©2017 compareandsave.com is a trading name of Freedom Marketing Ltd.
Freedom Marketing Ltd is a credit broker, not a lender and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, firm reference number 493117. This can be checked at http://www.fca.org.uk/register. Registered in England & Wales under registration number 05349340. The company's registered office is Freedom Marketing Limited, Colchester Centre, Hawkins Road, Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom, CO2 8JX.

The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which compareandsave.com receives compensation.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is an agency for arbitrating unresolved complaints between regulated firms and their clients. Full details of the FOS can be found on its website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.